Tuesday, October 20, 2020

COVID19 Update - Day 224

US Tests: 118,180,949*
US Cases: 8,232,285*
US Deaths: 212,678*
Worldwide Cases: 40,564,075*
Worldwide Deaths: 1,123,794*

* - Numbers are a lower bound.  True numbers are being suppressed by the Trump administration

Some shocking news about young(ish) people and the #TrumpVirus.  It turns out that people aged 25-44 are actually the hardest hit by at least one metric:
The coronavirus pandemic has left about 299,000 more people dead in the United States than would be expected in a typical year, two-thirds of them from covid-19 and the rest from other causes, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Tuesday.

The CDC said the novel coronavirus, which causes covid-19, has taken a disproportionate toll on Latinos and Blacks, as previous analyses have noted. But the CDC also found, surprisingly, that it has struck 25- to 44-year-olds very hard: Their “excess death” rate is up 26.5 percent over previous years, the largest change for any age group.

It is not clear whether that spike is caused by the shift in covid-19 deaths toward younger people between May and August or deaths from other causes, the CDC said.

Also, an update from Sunday, when I published an email from my son (who's at college) which said, in part: ". . . WE'RE ALL at high risk of getting Covid-19. Pardon my french here, but it seems that we're kinda fucked." 

He and his housemates all took tests today, and apparently they all tested negative.  So, if they can just keep from catching the virus for another 5 weeks, then they can all make it home safe for Thanksgiving.

UPDATE: I just noticed that in my original post, I wrote that "they all tested positive".  This was a mistake on my part; I meant to write that they all tested negative.

But as it turns out, my son wasn't being entirely truthful with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment