Saturday, August 1, 2020

COVID19 Update - Day 143

US Tests: 55,372,983*
US Cases: 4,535,607*
US Deaths: 145,447*
Worldwide Cases: 17,533,034*
Worldwide Deaths: 679,439*

* - Numbers are a lower bound.  True numbers are being suppressed by the Trump administration

This update is going up at least 12 hours late.  And the reason is that last night, I attended only my third in-person social event since the pandemic started.  Some friends and I got together in a back yard to watch a movie projected onto a bedsheet.  And it was nice to get out of the house, but I was also acutely aware of the fact that the situation was not normal.

We observed social distancing, which made conversation difficult.  But we were still close enough together to make me nervous.  And of course, the conversation was mainly about the virus, schools reopening (or not), mask regulations, etc.

In short, it was an awkward facsimile of life before the virus, and I chafed against the awkwardness.  I feel like I've done a pretty good job of rolling with the punches so far, but last night was the first night it started to get to me.

And still, there's no end in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment